With the cost of bread going up (around $4.00 a loaf for the good stuff), I decided to try my hand at homemade. I have NEVER made bread or even attempted it before. I already had a nice wheat grinder I had never used, and tons of wheat. Cami gave me a little lesson, and away I went. I make a double batch (12 loaves) and freeze it. I figure it costs about .50 cents a loaf to make it is so yummy, and is much healthier then store bought bread. I am so proud of myself! I still can't believe I can bake bread, it always seemed so hard! Thanks Cami for all the help and the great recipe. I'll post the recipe below for any who are interested.
Whole Wheat Bread
6 cups warm water
2/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup honey
14 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat gluten
2 tablespoons dough enhancer
2 tablespoons self-rising yeast
2 tablespoons salt
Directions
In the Bosch mixing bowl (can be done by hand, but won't be as fluffy) add warm water, 110-120 degrees, oil, and honey. Don't mix. Then add 8 cups of milled wheat flour--don't mix. On top of the flour add bread dough enhancer (buy at Macey's or Allisons's Pantry), gluten, and yeast. Mix on speed 1 until smooth. Let stand for 10 minutes. Next on speed 1 add the salt and the rest of the flour. If the dough is too sticky, add 1/2 cup flour. Set the timer for 10 minutes on speed 2. With Pam on your hands--form dough into 6 loaves. Spray bread pans with Pam and place dough in each pan. Allow the dough to rise 30 minutes. Place bread pans into a cool oven, then turn on the oven to bake loaves @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Nutritional Information per slice
Calories 111
Total Fat 2.6
Saturated Fat .2
Carbohydrate 20
Dietary Fiber 3
Protein 4





7 comments:
Yum...I want a slice. I've been thinking about Amish Friendship bread and how I wish I had a starter for that. Anyone have that recipe?
I only eat wheat bread and love the homemade stuff. I need to make some and freeze it, that's a great idea. Thanks for the recipe!
It was WAY GOOD, too! Thanks again for the loaf & my kids totally fell in love with the honey butter, too (even though I'm the one who has been eating it all :)). Thanks again!
Oh that looks so yummy! What if i don't have a wheat Grinder?
I am totally going to try that, it looks so Good!"
Way to Go Martha Stewart!
You need fresh ground wheat flour. Do you have a Bosh? They sale an attatchment that grinds wheat, Cami bought one and it works great and can convert to a hand grinder too.
Looks so good. I have been waiting for the kids to go back to school and then I am going to start baking too. It looks like a good recipe. I will try it out.
Christine
Make homemade wheat bread all the time. Once you have the GOOD stuff your kids will never go back. I have never used a Bosch just my hands. I like your idea. Guess what I'm asking for Christmas (LOL).
Post a Comment