I don't know how many times we have driven past the Cove Fort exit and said to ourselves we should stop there one of these days. We finally did on our last trip up to American Fork. They were having their annual celebration days. It was well worth the stop and a good break for the kids. The Fort is of historical significance to the church not because there was ever a battle here, but because it was used as relief for pioneers traveling to the St. George Temple. Many made the journey to get married in the temple, hence the nickname "honeymoon trail" was given to the stretch of road between Salt Lake and St. George. President Hinkley's grandparents ran the Fort. They lived there and would offer hot meals, soft beds, and what ever they could to help refresh the weary travelers for the rest of their journey. They always had an amazing garden, and sister Hinkley was always cooking and baking for the travelers. Today there are probably 20 missionary couples that live on the grounds, garden, and give tours of the Fort. There was a very calm, peaceful feeling on the grounds of the fort. It was beautiful. This is the entry to the Fort. They are the original doors, and stone. The stonework was truly beautiful. It is set up in a square with a courtyard in the middle. All of the living quarters make up the perimeter of the square.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Cove Fort Days.....
Posted by Ludvigson Family at 6:52 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
Great pictures! I love the family one. We are the same way with the Grand Canyon. We've driven past hundreds of times and never made a stop. I just don't want one of my little ones falling down into it.
I haven't stopped there in years, but looks fun and I need to get off the freeway again soon!
We stopped at Cove Fort once, but I don't remember doing all those fun things. Actually, I don't remember it much at all. I just remember enjoying it.
So cool! i am glad you stopped there, i have wondered about it too. Thanks for all the Info.
Looks like the kids had a great time, isn't it amazing how much we as adults learn when we go to these Pioneer places. I love it!
Yeah! I found you back! I have been the biggest blog slacker and am about to post a bajillion pics to try and make up for lost time. Your family pic is beautiful! You look stunning! It was so good to see you guys at the reunion as well! I have always loved cozy's boys and their families! You all have a special place in my life and heart! Thanks for finding us!
Love
Chelcie
I love Cove Fort. My mom and dad took us atleast once a year when I was a kid. I think they have added all that fun stuff because I only remember walking through the Fort and listening to stories. I really need to stop and take my kids one of these times. You and Justin have a beautiful family.
We are alway saying the same thing about stopping. I guess we need to follow your example and stop. The last time we were there Andrew and Jared were to little to remember. It looks like a lot of fun. I love the pictures.
Christine
We love Cove Fort!
Hey, we found your blog and read up on you guys...now we have one of our own too.
Here it is: http://allmywestboys.blogspot.com/
I should clarify before you all stop and expect all of these great activities every time. This was their annual celebration days, they only do once a year! But it still would be worth the stop even on a normal day.
Post a Comment