Monday, April 21, 2008

Seat Belt Bag...


So I saw the coolest diaper bag the other day. A friend of a friend had one of these seat belt bags. I immediately fell in love with this super durable and way cool bag! BUT, I am too cheap to pay $200.00 for a diaper bag. So I have done some research and found an auto supplier that sells seat belt webbing on-line for .50 cents a yard. I also found some instructions on-line. The only problem is I don't know how to sew very well, let alone put in a zipper and such! If anyone is up for the task and would like to give it a try I will help, share info, and even pay a reasonable amount for anyone who wants to help me try to make one! I don't know, maybe I'm crazy for even attempting it! What do you think?

7 comments:

Heather said...

Good luck. A dress is one thing...a bag? You're brave to attempt it! You can do it though.

Brain Balance Mom said...

I am not much help, but I think the bag is way cute. My sister could make it in a snap (and my mom). Maybe we should enlist their help? Did they have a lot of colors of seatbelts? I am sure I could get them to help us (or on my case, just do it for me...)
Let me know!
ps. you looked beautiful on Sunday!

Shannon said...

Your crazy! Just buy the Bag ;) Good bags are hard to find and when you get a good one, it's worth the money!
Hey it's mothers day, break down and buy yourself something!

Ludvigson Family said...

I've been waiting for someone to tell me that it is a crazy idea to make one, and not worth the hassel. I still don't know if I will break down and buy it. Justin would have a FIT!!!!

haley said...

ok- i have a access to a better machine (my friend offered hers)... wanna try??? order the materials and have them shipped to my address and i'll ship it to you when it's done... what do you think???
oh- and i think a headband party would be a great excuse for a girls weekend out. just talk your mom into taking cami's kids or talk cami into bringing her kids and i think it would be awesome! let me know what weekends would work for you and i can get a stock made up.
oh, and email your email address so i can send a few more swatches your way to match your dresses.

Brain Balance Mom said...

My sister's sister-in-law just started a company making bags and diaper bags, etc. Here is the blog. They don't have everything on it yet, but it is a start. She said that they could make a seatbelt bag for you for cheaper... However, I agree that you may just want to buy it... I spent way too much on my diaper bag and had it be my mother's day gift a couple of years ago... I think It is okay on just a few things if you really love them! http://mumzey.blogspot.com/

Annie said...

My best friends mom makes these bags and does an amazing job. She makes all types & sizes including the diaper bag, which I hope to get for my baby shower. She has been selling in our area for years and is about to take it to the internet. She sells them for alot less than the harvey brand ones. With my first baby on the way I'm learning that it's hard to spend a lot of money on yourself so don't do it if you don't have to, save it for something else. If you are still interested you can email me at madd_daisy@hotmail.com and I can get you her info.